Literature Review Essentials

• 12 Lessons
  • 30min
  • 4.7 Reviews

This module is here to guide you through the Literature Review process and equip you with the skills needed to analyze, synthesize, and present information effectively to support your research. The module is divided into four interconnected sections, each building upon the previous one to help you grow and refine your abilities in conducting a Literature Review.

4.5 (25 ratings)

Course Features
  • 12 lessons
  • 4 Sections
  • 15 mins on-demand video
  • 12 downloadable resources
  • Full lifetime access
  • Access on mobile and PC

What you’ll learn

• Discover: Get acquainted with “the literature” and understand why it’s essential for your research.
  • Connect: Learn how to tap into learning communities and utilize digital sources effectively.
  • Engage: Dive into the literature by developing strategies for searching and making sense of the information you find.
  • Become: Master the art of writing and presenting your Literature Review, turning your research into a compelling narrative.

Master the Art of Academic Research

Gain the skills to navigate, evaluate, and synthesize scholarly literature, ensuring your research is grounded in credible and relevant sources.

Build a Strong Foundation for Your Literature Review

Learn how to effectively identify key themes, trends, and gaps in the literature, positioning your work at the forefront of academic conversations.

Boost Your Research
Confidence

Through interactive activities, this module equips you with the tools and strategies to conduct thorough, impactful literature reviews that stand out.

Here’s What’s Covered

:Explore These Resources to Enhance Your Research Skills

In this section, we will discuss “the literature”: what it is and why you need a Literature Review to support your research. You will also learn how to evaluate the trustworthiness and credibility of sources like websites, articles, books, the media, and other sources of published information. Here you will learn how to make sure your research is relevant and positioned within the academic discourse.

After completing this section, you will be able to:

• Define what we mean when we say, “the literature”.
  • Surf through the literature to find key terms, trends, and issues related to your research topic.
  • Find scholars who are influencers in your field of study.
  • Find scholarly and professional associations to help build your research network.
  • Evaluate the quality and trustworthiness of online sources.

In this section, you will learn how to build connections with peers, professors, librarians, and key scholars, and to leverage learning communities and digital networks to support you during the research process. You will also learn about different types of literature and a variety of places where you can find reliable and trustworthy sources of information.

By the end of this section, you will be able to:

• Identify and engage with individuals who can provide valuable feedback on your research topic.
  • Use various platforms to connect with peers, professors, and other researchers.
  • Identify different types of literature.
  • Navigate and use academic databases and journals relevant to your research topic.

In this section, you will engage in a more structured review of the literature, play with different search techniques, and identify articles, websites, government reports, and other sources relevant to your research topic. You will also learn how to make sense of vast amounts of published information by organizing and theming the literature and identifying what we currently know and what we don’t know about a topic. The tools and techniques learned in this section will help you gather the information needed to present or write a review of the literature related to your topic.

After completing this section, you will be able to…

• Journal your process for searching and filtering the literature.
  • Apply a variety of search techniques (e.g., Boolean operators, citation chaining, key scholar search) and filter techniques (e.g., date range, geographic region) to narrow a vast body of literature to what is most relevant.
  • Read an article for relevant information.
  • Organize sources and identify themes in the literature using the Thematic Analysis Grid technique.

In this section, you will start drafting your Literature Review by building a strong argument that addresses your research question. You will also learn how to present information so that others can see the logic of your argument. The tools and techniques in this section will get your ready to write a paper or create a poster so that you can disseminate your findings to a diverse audience and contribute to a community of scholars in your field of study.

• Convert your research question into a thesis statement that clearly explains your understanding of the literature on your topic.
  • Present your analysis of the literature in a clear and logical way.
  • Identify gaps in the literature and contribute to a more comprehensive and nuanced understanding of your topic.
  • Make your research accessible and engaging to a diverse audience by applying inclusive design principles.
Testimonials

What People are Saying

Don’t take it from us. See what faculty and students are saying!

This course completely transformed the way I approach research. Before, I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there. Now, I know exactly how to find credible sources and position my work within the broader academic conversation. The Discover section alone gave me the confidence I needed to start my literature review on the right foot.
Ricardo Owens
Bachelor of Science
I’m impressed by how this course breaks down complex research processes into digestible steps. The Discover section not only helps students understand what constitutes credible sources but also teaches them how to critically evaluate and organize their findings. This is an invaluable resource that I’ll be recommending to all my students.
Dr. Joel Burdine
Faculty of Arts
The practical activities in the Discover section made it so much easier to understand how to evaluate sources. I used to struggle with knowing what to include in my literature review, but the clear guidance and interactive elements helped me build a strong foundation. This course is a game-changer for any student looking to excel in academic research.
Rhonda Key
Master of Education
As an instructor, I’ve always emphasized the importance of a strong literature review, but this course provides students with the tools they need to really succeed. The Discover section offers a fantastic introduction to what the literature is and how to critically engage with it. I’ve already seen a noticeable improvement in the quality of my students’ work
Dr. Ashley Hoyt
Faculty of Science

You should also check these out

Enhance Your Research Journey with These Must-See Resources

Research Ethics
  • 14k+ Students
  • 20min
Learn More
Knowledge Mobilization
  • 14 Lessons
  • 20min
Learn More

Stay Updated!

Stay in the loop with the latest news, resources, and updates from the Research Hub. Get alerts for new module releases straight to your inbox.